Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents)

Bipolar Disorder and Behavioral Regression

10/10/2007

Question:

My daughter has had bipolar disorder for several years now. But recently she has been progessing back to her childhood by coloring and being scared more often. I was just wondering what that was from?

Answer:

Hello,

Thank you for your excellent question! Without knowing your daughter's background, developmental information or conducting a comprehensive psychological assessment of your daughter's symptoms and recent changes in her life, it's really very difficult to pinpoint the cause of her "progressing back to her childhood by coloring and being scared more often." Children with bipolar disorder often have or develop co-occurring anxiety disorders which can cause severe distress, impairment at home/school/friends and can trigger further mood episodes.

Therefore, I'd highly recommend you and your daughter talk to her therapist, if she has one. If she doesn't have a therapist, I'd suggest calling your local university, community mental health center or National Association of Mentally Ill chapter to ask for names, locations and phone numbers of mental health professionals, with expertise in childhood bipolar disorder, whom you can schedule an initial evaluation.

I hope that helps.

Take care and best wishes,

Go to the Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents) health topic, where you can:

Nicholas   Lofthouse, PhD Nicholas Lofthouse, PhD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry