Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Two supernumerary teeth 8 and 9

10/10/2007

Question:

My 6 year old daugher was diagnosed with two supernumerary teeth. The front two teeth 8 and 9 fell out normally at age 5. What grew in however was not normal. She has 2 conical/ peg shaped teeth that have grown in. The pediatric dentist we took her to xrayed her mouth and said they were supernumerary and needed to be removed because it was causing her permanant normal two front teeth to come in sideways. We have been to 5 different dentists now and none of them have ever seen a case with 2 front supernumerary teeth. THey all keep saying that normally the supernumerary comes in inbetween the two front teeth and that there is usually only one. Has there ever been a case like my daughters? Should I be consurned about a dieses that she may have that is causing this? any help would be grately apprieciated!!!!!

Answer:

While it's true that we usually see just one supernumerary tooth in the upper anterior area, multiple supernumerary teeth commonly occur. Your pediatric dentist is a good source of information about her dental condition, but it's never a bad idea to get additional opinions from other pediatric dentists. Supernumerary teeth are relatively common and usually occur without any other medical problem. Again, your pediatric dentist can advise you best.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Dennis J McTigue, DDS Dennis J McTigue, DDS
Professor of Pediatric Dentistry