8 month old and anesthesia

10/10/2007

Question:

My daughter who is 8 months old will soon be having an MRI done, which she will have general anesthesia. She has KT syndrome (klippel trenauny syndrome) a rare vascular disorder affecting her entire left leg. The MRI is needed to see the extent of the vascular malformation, so as to provide proper treatment for her. I am very nervous and concerned about her recieving anesthesia. How safe is it for her? Thank you so much for your time.

Answer:

Patients with Klippel Trenaunay syndrome have port-wine stains, varicose veins, and bony and soft tissue hypertrophy (enlargement) involving an extremity. See the linked ADAM definition: Klippel-Trenaunay syndrome

As far as I know, there are no special issues that increase the risk of a patient with this syndrome undergoing general anesthesia.

Children under a year of age (infants) do statistically have a higher risk than older children or adults. This has lead some authorities to recommend that infants receive anesthesia care only from specialist pediatric anesthesiologists. Having said this, children of all ages down to newborns have anesthesia on a routine basis, with generally good outcomes, around the world.

General anesthesia in an MRI scanner requires the use of special MRI-safe equipment. This is another reason why it's likely that your procedure needs to be done in a hospital, rather than a free-standing imaging center, where all the resources needed to take care of small children are available.

Gareth S Kantor, MD Gareth S Kantor, MD
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology