Pain Management

Joint Pain

10/12/2007

Question:

From from May to July of this year I had a series of 8 epidural steroid injections in my low-back. These injections have not relieved any of my pain. However, since the summer I have gained weight and my muscles and joints are so painful. I know you can go through withdrawal from oral steroids which can cause joint pain. Can eight injections in just three months also put me through withdrawal?

Answer:

Certainly having 8 epidural steroid injections in 3 months is significantly more than the norm (3). The usual amount injected with each procedure is 40-80 mg. Usually, the dose of epidural steroids is limited to 3 mg per kg of body weight over a 6 months to a year period of time, to avoid adrenal suppression and steroid side effects. You may benefit from an endocrine workup. You should discuss this with your physician.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine