Spine and Back Health

Morning hip pain

10/16/2007

Question:

I often have severe hip pain in the morning - sometimes 30 - 45 minutes before putting normal weight on my right leg. But after that I am good for any physical activity - hiking, cutting trees, loading the truck, digging, etc. After being still for an hour - movies, eating out, etc. the sharp pain may resume for a while. My spinal surgery in March 2007 entirely relieved my ever increasing dull pain but this is very different. Thanks for your input.

Answer:

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to know with certainty why you have this pain. There are numerous hip problems that can cause this type of pain – on the other hand, certain spinal problems can also manifest as pain in the hip area. The only reliable way to tell these problems apart is for you to have a physical exam and complete history done by a qualified health care provider. You might also need imaging studies (for example, xrays or MRI) of your hip, back, or both. Since you have had recent spinal surgery, you might want to start by going back to see your surgeon. Good luck!

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery