Autism

Identifying Asperger`s Syndrome

10/31/2007

Question:

I am a 40 year old female and I feel that I may have this. How do I approach my doctor?

Answer:

If you feel you may have Asperger's Syndrome, it would be worthwhile to print out the list of criteria from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual -- the DSM-IV-TR -- and descriptions from some other books and websites highlighting those that you feel describe your personality and challenges. Give this to your doctor to review.

As the mother of an adult with Asperger's Syndrome, I would suggest visiting O.A.S.I.S., Online Asperger Syndrome Information and Support, http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/aswhatisit.html .

Also very useful are:

You will want a referral from your doctor for an evaluation by a psychiatrist or psychologist who has experience with autism spectrum disorders, and you will probably find maintaining a relationship with that person worthwhile should further counseling be required.

Go to the Autism health topic, where you can:

Patricia H Cloppert, BSFS Patricia H Cloppert, BSFS
Faculty Parent Advocate
Program Manager for Parent/Family Support
OSU Nisonger Center