Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Capped teeth gone

10/22/2007

Question:

My grandaughter who is now 5 has three capped teeth.two of them fail out. All of her teeth were decayed. There is still another tooth next to the capped tooth that is a little decayed. I am very concern that the teeth that fell out will not grow back. Now that she is in our care we are getting her better dental care. I am little concern about whether silver caps are good for the teeth.Will it take longer for her teeth to grow back since it fail out early?

Answer:

Thanks for the questions. They are all good, I'll try to go one at a time:

1. It sounds like the teeth that fell out were baby teeth, and we would not expect them to 'grow back'. They will be replaced by adult teeth, which will more than likely be delayed coming in.

2. I would make sure a dentist examines her teeth to make sure the whole baby tooth came out, and not just the part with the cap on it.

3. Silver caps - of all the types of 'fillings' that go on baby teeth - have been shown to have the longest life span, and get the least amount of 'new cavity' when compared to silver fillings or white fillings. They have been shown to be particularly effective in children with a high cavity risk. As good as they are, there are limitations. Avoiding sticky foods is important, as is regular follow-up care.

I hope this is helpful. Thanks again.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Sarath  Thikkurissy, DDS, MS Sarath Thikkurissy, DDS, MS
Director, Residency Program, Division of Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics