Breast Cancer

Drainage from the breast

10/31/2007

Question:

I`am thirty-five years old and for about three weeks now I have had white and sometimes brown drainage from both breast,I have some soreness. The drainage is sticky like and when I wipe the drainage it looks yellow.I have went to a doctor they told me they didn`t see any fluid from the test that was done so there no reason to worry, but I do I no this doesn`t feel normal to me. Please Help.

Answer:

Discharge from both nipples that is negative for blood is usually a benign condition. I am not sure what tests were done for you, but your doctor should check if there is any blood in the discharge. This is done by a test called guaiac. A breast exam has to be done, and if this is normal, no further testing is usually necessary. Sometimes your doctor might check some hormonal levels (thyroid and prolactin) and refer you to a endocrinologist if necessary.

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Bhuvaneswari  Ramaswamy, MD Bhuvaneswari Ramaswamy, MD
Assistant Professor of Medical Oncology