Depression

Reducing Depressive Behavior

11/05/2007

Question:

I have a 20 year old daughter in college that was diagnosed with depression about 2 years ago, she also has Kron's and Hyperthyroid, she is currently in her second year of college, had a part time job and was struggling staying focused, about 1 month ago her therapist recommended that she quit her job and focus on school, she did and did nothing but sit in her room all weekend and dwell on her depression, now she wants to quit school as well, my wife and I are in disagreement on this , I contend that she will sit in her room 24-7 at least at school she had something else to occupy her mind. What are your thoughts?

Answer:

When initial efforts to treat depression are not enough, more intensive efforts are often effective. For your daughter this may mean more intensive focus of the therapy on skills that help with the management of depressive symptoms, or it may mean combining psychotherapy with antidepressant medications.

Behavioral activation is an approach that counters the problem of depression leading people to avoid activities. The persistent practice of behavioral activation will often relieve the depressive thinking and inactivity. The best you can do is encourage her to learn about the options for treatment and, with the help of mental health specialists, increase the intensity of her treatment until she achieves a remission.

Go to the Depression health topic, where you can:

Lawson  Wulsin, MD Lawson Wulsin, MD
Professor of Psychiatry and Family Medicine, Training Director of the Family Medicine Psychiatry Residency Program