Gum Diseases

Gum graph vs. lichen plantus

10/26/2007

Question:

This past summer I had my first gum graph done and also took biospies and said I have Lichen Plantus. The dentist office last week that cleaned my teeth after the dentist said he would not be surprised if eventually I still loose the tooth of the gum graph because I have lichen plantus. Is that true? Are gum graphs unsuccessful with lichen plantus (don`t know if I am spelling this write?). I need about 2-3 more done and don`t want to go thru the pain and suffering if they won`t hold because of the auto immune disease. Please answer.

Answer:

Lichen planus is a gingival lesion caused by autoimmune reaction. Do you have any skin conditions or do you have lesions only in the mouth? Lesion may come back after biopsy and soft tissue grafting. Again it is caused by autoimmune disorder. Are you receiving any treatment for it? I think that you should ask more information from your dentist and may want to visit a dermatologist or oncologist or oral pathology specialist.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology