Osteoporosis

43 Year Old with a T-Score of -2.4

11/17/2007

Question:

Hello, I am a 43 yr old female not in pre-or active menopaus. I have Lupus Sle and a very deficient vitamin D level of 4. I recently broke 2 toes and have had intermittent/painful lower back pait. My Dexa BD scan results were as follows: left hip and lumbar psppine 0.652 grams per cm squared and 959 cm squared with T scores of -2.4 and -1.7 and Z scores if -2.1 and -1.3, respectivellly. Impression results revealed Osteopenia borderline Osteoperosis. I am wondering just how borderline I am to Osteooerosis? If I understand correctly, Osteoperosis is determined at -2.5 T score. Am I 1/10th away from a diagnosis of Osteoperosis? Or is there a combination of factors withing these various numbers to determine the outcome? I am very thin due to an aggressive gastirc erosion that prevents me from absorbing nutrients effectively. I also have chronic diahrrea if I consume any form of dairy, fatty foods of any sort and certain (most fruit) product. Due to my Lupus, sunlight is a problem, as it causes flares. So I am currently taking 50,00 iu of vitamin D weekly. Could you please inform me just how close a diagnosis of full Osteoperosis is? I believe that if it were -2.5 and not -2.4 it would have been a low positive for Osteoperosis. Your help in answering my concerns would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Answer:

You are correct that you are very close to osteoporosis.  It is good that your physician is trying to normalize your vitamin D level.  We recommend that it be above 30 ng/ml.  Continue to work with your physician on appropriate calcium intake and exercise.

Go to the Osteoporosis health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology