Myasthenia Gravis

Alternatives to MG

11/02/2007

Question:

So about a month ago I had very minimal double vision in the morning. A week or so after that I sustained a hard blow to the head and the next morning had some ptosis of the right eye. After a few days, my eye was nearly shut. It was like that for a few weeks, and then it and the double vision disappeared. I had every test run on on me: all the antibody tests, EMG, and the single fiber thing. The only one that was positive was putting ice on the eye. I was prescribed some mestinon, but after it did nothing I stoppe dtaking and the problem resolved itself after a few weeks.

Now its been a few weeks and I can exhaust myself and there is no ptosis. Every now and again the eyelid will twitch randomly, but only for a few seconds and there is no pattern with it. I tried the look down and then look staight thing, but nothing happened.

The doctors seem to be on the fence as to whether it is MG or not. The opthamologist thinks it is, but the neurologist ran all the tests and she is skeptic. SO basically my big question is if there is anything that might cause the symptoms other than MG?

thanks

Answer:

There are a number of other conditions that can cause drooping of your eyelid and double vision but it is best to sort this out with your treating neurologist. (Trying to diagnose over the internet rather that in person with your doctor is an excellent way to get the wrong diagnosis and/or generate a great deal of unnecessary costs.)

And, of course, many times we have patients with short lived problems that defy diagnosis despite careful and comprehensive testing.

Hope this helps.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

John G Quinlan, MD John G Quinlan, MD
Professor of Neurology