Cancer

Hodgkin`s Tumor Growth Rate

11/06/2007

Question:

I was diagnosed with Hodgkin`s Lymphoma, Stage 4 Bulky with a large tumor in my mediasteinum. That was 2 years ago and thankfully after 6 cycles of ABVD Chemo it is in remission. My question is, how fast does a Hodgkin`s Tumor Grow? I am under the impression that it had to be there for years to reach the size of 8cm by 6cm. Also, during the 5 years leading up to the diagnosis, I was having 5 to 8 sinus infections per year, shortness of breath, fatigue, etc. Could this be related?

Answer:

No one ever knows how long a cancer has been present in someone’s body; there is no way of telling and everyone’s estimate is just a guess. Having any lymphoma can increase your risk for all types of infection; the cancer may not have been visible at that point, but it’s possible that in it’s very early stage a cancer could cause increased infection. It is just as likely, however, that the infections were unrelated to the Hodgkins. These are questions that science just can’t answer very well.

Go to the Cancer health topic, where you can:

Joanna M Brell, MD Joanna M Brell, MD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Medicine