Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Pain before and after urination

11/09/2007

Question:

I have a a 10 year old son that has been suffering with pain after and before urination. The pain is severely to the point where he cries and then he can`t close his legs or sit down. He has had to test done where they check the flow of your urine and his urethra valves cut. He is also severely constipated. On my side of the family we have urinary problems and his dad`s side they have gastric problems. I was told by my urologist that it could be psychological. He is now going to a psychiatrist. After my son urinates it stings and causes him pain. It`s been going on for a year and the doctors are pretty  much done with the situation and have told me to go elsewhere. Is there anyone out there that might know what is wrong with my child? 

Answer:

That is a difficult situation. There are many possible causes for the pain. One is constipation. Another is urinary tract infection. Another is urethral stricture or a narrowing of the tip of the urethra. Usually we start with intensive treatment of the constipation.

I would try going to a voiding dysfunction clinic that is run by a pediatric urologist.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology