Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Facial swelling and buldge in stomach then to

10/31/2007

Question:

My 10 yr. old son gets facial swelling, buldge just below belly button then gets bladder leakage, shortly after he eats spices or preserved food. He also has a milk protien allergy. He has never wet the bed since he was 3yrs. and now it`s almost every night. At this time of swelling his behavior and thinking is a little off. He got his tonsils, adnoids and tubes put in one year and about 4 months after this all started. Could this be a bladder wall abscess? Maybe from a polk from the c

atheter? or just a digestive allergy. He`s been to various doctors, allergists, and still come to avoiding the food eaten. Well I do believe there is more to it and would like to have more to suggest to them. He also took aerius for 2 years and then started to get immune to it, too. Thank-you

Answer:

That is a difficult question. It sounds like he needs to be evaluated by a pediatric urologist. Some children have an overactive bladder with incontinence, but that would be unrelated to the bulge that you described, which could be an umbilical hernia. The nighttime incontinence probably is unrelated also. At any rate, I would make an appointment with a pediatric urologist.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology