Wellness Center

Acidity during pregnancy

10/29/2007

Question:

I feel acid refluxes, like sour taste in my throat and I feel food what ever I take coming back into my throat when I drink water. If I keep drinking water once in an hour, I get relieved. I don`t feel hungry soon. I feel stomach fullness even I eat lesser amount of food than I usually take. Lost 2kgs of my weight. Not getting proper sleep sometimes at night. Bowel movements are not bad and gas formation in stomach is there. Taken Prevacid for 15 days and found no improvement. Doctor done endoscopy and report is, no malabsorbtion and no H.pylori. I dont have any kind of heartburn or abdominal pain. Further doctor suggested CT scan. Do I really need this test done? I`m planning for pregnancy. Will this problem in any way effect the baby and If so in what way? I`m 31+ yrs old. Do I need to wait or can I plan for pregnancy now?

Answer:

You may want to try to get the symptoms under control now because if they are due to acid reflux, it is common for the acid reflux to worsen throughout pregnancy.

Go to the Wellness Center health topic, where you can:

Julia Gore Thornton, MD Julia Gore Thornton, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine