Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

TTP

11/07/2007

Question:

My sister has TTP, Lupus, and is in chronic renal failure. she is 29 and had been ill since she was diagnosed in 2005. We are seeking Dr.`s outside the Buffalo area since she has baffled every specialist her she has met. Her platelet count is within the normal range right now, but her cratinine level has been 13 for nearly one month. The Dr. has said that dialysis is not an option right now. could this be b/c of the TTP? I have thought maybe b/c of the scar tissue around sites where a shunt might be inserted due to extended plasma pheresis treatments. so to summerize- 1. would the TTP be preventing her from getting treatment for her kidneys? 2. how do i find a specialist from outside the area that might be willing to look at her chart? 3. can the scar tissue be removed to allow a shunt?

Answer:

What you are describing is a little confusing to me and does not make sense. I’m not sure why dialysis would not be an option for your sister. Patients with both lupus and TTP can be quite complicated and sometimes it is difficult to actually determine which is causing the problem at a given time. It is difficult to say much more without having a chance to see and examine your sister and review her old records.

While it is not typical to give out contact information via this website, my area of clinical and research expertise is in patients with TTP, and my institution is not that far from Buffalo. I have provided my contact information below so that you could make an appointment for me to see your sister if she would like for me to see her and take a look at her case.

320 West 10th Avenue
B306 Starling Loving Hall
Columbus, OH 43210
614-293-9316

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine