Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Stroke and Aspirin

11/06/2007

Question:

I had an avm rupture 26 yrs ago - neurosurgeon at that time decided against surgical intervention -said he just wanted to get bleeding stopped and it probably destroyed itself. Now I`m 70 yrs. old and had a couple tia`s -saw neurologist-mri-mra- carotid,etc. No bleeding ,etc.put me on ASA 81mg. daily- could I also take Plavix? Just trying to stay alive here! Or would that increase any chance of that old avm to re-bleed? Or is this question one of those "toss ups"? Like "damned if I do" and "damned if I don`t". Thanks.

Answer:

There is no need to add Plavix. Actually, adding Plavix will provide no additional benefit whether in your case or any other case. Several studies have shown that the combination Plavix and Aspirin will not provide any additional benefit to one agent alone. Moreover, the combination can be harmful by increasing the risk of bleeding.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Yousef  Mohammad, MD, MSc Yousef Mohammad, MD, MSc
Director, Stroke Fellowship Program