Menopause

Hysterectomy at 23 now 46 need guidance

11/17/2007

Question:

I had to have a hysterectomy at age 23 after haveing my second child. The Doctor removed absolutely everything but one ovary, the hysterectomy was required due to a severe infection after a tubal ligation. I have been on hormone replacement since the surgery as my remaining ovary does not produce a sufficient amount of hormone. I have been having recently many disturbing problems that my doctor has been trying to help me identify the causes of them. In doing research on menopause, I was wondering if I listed some of these problems, maybe you could give me some guidence into resolving the symptoms. I recently started waking up with rapid heart racing between the hours of 3 am and 5 am usually. I have very poor levels of concentration and memory scrambles, more than loss of memory. I am often light headed, not really dizzy. I have tingling in my left side of my face and left hand occasionally. I have been fully tested for my heart, and have taken stress tests as well. As a preventative measure my doctors have placed me on a low dose betta blocker. The heart testing results were fine. The other morning upon waking with the rapid heart rate I got up to use the restroom and then became so chilled to the bone, that when I tried to speak to my husband my teeth were chattering. I have been so frustrated with these symptoms and it interferes with my business on some days. If you have any suggestions as to where I might find some answers, I would greatly appreciate it.

Answer:

Heart arrythmias are not considered a symptom of menopause.  If the beta blocker is not controlling the rapid heart rate, follow up with your primary care doctor to find something that will work for you.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology