Oral Cancer

What Could a Bump on the Tongue Be and Should it be Checked out?

11/06/2007

Question:

I have a bump on the top right side of my tongue towards the front third. It`s been there for about a month and a half. I first thought it was just an irritated tastebud or that I bit my tongue, and it never hurt. It has also grown bigger to about 3mm. The bump is peduncular - like it`s on a stalk. I know it`s not a typical presentation for an oral cancer, but do you know what it could be and should I get it checked out? It just bothers me because I end up playing with it since it`s toward the front of my mouth. Thanks!

Answer:

If the surface of the bump is smooth, it probably is a fibroma, which is basically a lump of scar tissue. If the surface is more uneven, with little projections, it is probably a papilloma, which is a first-cousin to a wart. Both of these are quite common and harmless, but a lot of people will seek the care of an oral surgeon in order to have them removed for exactly the reason you are describing.

Go to the Oral Cancer health topic, where you can:

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology