Breast Cancer

Burning sensation around duct in areola

I have been having a burning sensation around one of the ducts in my left Areola. I went to have it checked out by my O.B Dr. and he wrote me out a perscription for a steriod cream that he wanted for me to apply to the area 3 x`s a day for two weeks. I did it for two weeks and it seemed a bit better however, it is now burning again in the same small isolated area and is a bit red. It does not seem to be swollen or leaking at all but the burning pain is present. It is a very small area and has not enlarged since my appointment. There is not a lump in the area where the redness and pain are present. It has been going on now for about 5 weeks. Is this cancerous or do you think that it is an infection? I`m ready to call the Dr. again and have him re-examine me. If you have any information on what this may be or suggestions on how to reduce the pain it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Since there is no mass or rash present, it seems unlikely to be cancer, but follow-up with your doctor is recommended.

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Doreen M Agnese, MD Doreen M Agnese, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Surgery and Internal Medicine