Arthritis and Rheumatism

What Could Cause Ankle Swelling and Tenderness?

11/23/2007

Question:

I have hep-C post OLT, kidney disease, fibromyalgia and now have swelling around my ankle bones. This swelling is not edema, it is not red or painful at the site, except if I push on it; however, it does cause severe pain in my leg muscles and bones. I also get swelling below the knee cap on the inside of of my legs and this causes pain the the back of my knees. I also am feeling very ill, with symptoms like nausea, headaches, and fatigue. The pain and sickness I feel is different from the symptoms associalted with my other illnesses. I have had all of the above mentioned illnesses for over 10 years, except for the kidney disease, that is a new process due to immune suppression side effect. I have only had this present illness that I am describing for about a month or so. Any and all information you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:

I am not sure what the question is. The ankle swelling and tenderness could result from Hep C. It sounds to me as if you should see a rheumatologist.

Go to the Arthritis and Rheumatism health topic, where you can:

Irving  Kushner, MD Irving Kushner, MD
Professor Emeritus of Medicine