Bonded wire retainer.

Hello :)

6 yrs ago my orthodontist(now retired) removed a lower bonded retainer I had worn for 10+ yrs. And slowly in the last 6 yrs -very slowly- my bottom teeth have shifted-ever so slightly- and we (my idea) with my dentist is that I would like to have a bonded put on my lower teeth again to reduce anymore movement-he agreed that it would possible and that he can do it, he is trained in Invisalign - although that is not an option, (but he understands moving teeth nevertheless). So my question is:

Is it possible/reasonable to fit a bonded wire without having an impression model made for those bottom teeth? He says he would just bend the wire and apply it without the need for an impression- does that sound okay? I am going to wear my retainer continuously to get my bottom teeth in the best position before it is applied. Its not a real major issue I just wanted to know if bending the wire without a model(impression) sounds good enough because my ortho seemingly always made an impression for everything he put in my mouth.

Thanks for your time and attention to this matter.

Good question.

Certainly your family dentist can apply a lingual arch-wire as a retainer and many orthodontists apply them directly. The procedure is technique sensitive. I would certainly wear my previous retainer to maximize the correction. Please realize that through life, because of a mesial (forward) component of force when we close our teeth together there is pressure on the dentition . So as we age in our bodies some return of crowding can be expected, just as our eyes often change and we ultimately have a need for glasses.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry