Braces

Bonded wire retainer.

11/09/2007

Question:

Hello :)

6 yrs ago my orthodontist(now retired) removed a lower bonded retainer I had worn for 10+ yrs. And slowly in the last 6 yrs -very slowly- my bottom teeth have shifted-ever so slightly- and we (my idea) with my dentist is that I would like to have a bonded put on my lower teeth again to reduce anymore movement-he agreed that it would possible and that he can do it, he is trained in Invisalign - although that is not an option, (but he understands moving teeth nevertheless). So my question is:

Is it possible/reasonable to fit a bonded wire without having an impression model made for those bottom teeth? He says he would just bend the wire and apply it without the need for an impression- does that sound okay? I am going to wear my retainer continuously to get my bottom teeth in the best position before it is applied. Its not a real major issue I just wanted to know if bending the wire without a model(impression) sounds good enough because my ortho seemingly always made an impression for everything he put in my mouth.

Thanks for your time and attention to this matter.

Answer:

Good question.

Certainly your family dentist can apply a lingual arch-wire as a retainer and many orthodontists apply them directly. The procedure is technique sensitive. I would certainly wear my previous retainer to maximize the correction. Please realize that through life, because of a mesial (forward) component of force when we close our teeth together there is pressure on the dentition . So as we age in our bodies some return of crowding can be expected, just as our eyes often change and we ultimately have a need for glasses.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry