Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Arthritis and Rheumatism

Reducing Pain in the Feet Caused by RA



My occupational therapist tried to make custom made insoles for me to use because of my RA. I tried just arch supports and she had to change the material it was made from and grind them down a lot. Both times I tried to gradualy get used to them, but ended up having more pain both times. I often feel like the bones in my foot and ankle were broken. This past Monday I started just using flat gel insoles. The first day I wore them I got alot of pain on the inside of both feet and they got tired very quickly. The problem is that my hip is turned that has caused my legs and feet to turn and cause more pain. What else can I try or use to help with the my hip, knee, and feet problem? I hope not but is surgery the next step?


I would recommend that you see a foot care specialist, such as a podiatrist. They may have more options to offer you regarding foot orthotics and/or shoe modifications.

For more information:

Go to the Arthritis and Rheumatism health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Jeffrey M Robbins, DPM Jeffrey M Robbins, DPM
Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University