Pain Management

Possible Liver Pain

11/27/2007

Question:

Hi. I have had extreme abdominal pain near the liver area for over 7 yrs. I have had several tests over the years and came up empty handed. I have these symptoms:severe abdominal pain, nausea, dizziness, bloody nose, backaches, headaches, diarrhea, rash on stomach and neck Here are some of my past surgeries. I had one period at age 16, it lasted 2 weeks, had my tonsils out, few days after I needed a blood transfusion. I am 25 now diagnosed with poly cystic ovary disease and a fatty liver. I am running out of answers and I am tired of suffering. Please help me find closure to what this might be?

Answer:

You need to be seen at an interdisciplinary clinic that would have specialists from different fields to address your problem(s). It is usually a good idea to focus on the major symptom, and I get from your message that the right upper abdominal pain is the most bothersome. If the work-up by gastroenterology is negative (possibly with a second opinion), an evaluation by a pain specialist and a neurologist may be useful. In such cases, sometimes an epidural diagnostic injection is performed to figure out where the pain may be coming from; deep abdominal organs, abdominal wall or the nervous system. Based on that information, some other interventions may be planned.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine