Anxiety and Stress Disorders

Symtoms of Anxiety Disorder

11/17/2007

Question:

I am taking prozac and lamictal. I am seeing a counselor and she stated that I have the gene with bipolar II tendencies. I have asked her what all this means and she has explained it but I am still not understanding what I am going through and I am embarrassed to keep asking her. I am becoming increasingly more anxious, have been experiencing panic attacks, and now I have started to feel slightly dizzy as if I have an ear infection. Medical Dr. has ruled this out. I work in a a very stressful and negative job for the last 21 years. I have been battling depression now for the last 2 years. It is getting increasingly worse. I think I am getting confused, but with all the other symtoms that I am experiencing, I don`t know if it is confusion. How do you feel when you are confused. My mind is going 90 miles a minute and I can not concentrate on 1 thing without real effort on my part. Is this confusion? The Counselor knows all of the above. I have been on Prozac for over 1 year and just started lamictal about 2 weeks ago along with the prozac.

Answer:

It certainly sounds like you may have some bipolar features.  People who are bipolar have both episodes of depression and episodes of "mania," which may be just a lot of energy, feeling like the mind is going too fast, being very anxious or really moving and acting very rapidly and carelessly.

If you can't understand what you counselor is telling you, you might want to consider getting a second opinion.  I would assume you likely have a psychiatrist, too, prescribing your medications.  That would be a good person to talk to as well.

Check out the link attached for bipolar disease, too.

Good Luck.

NIMH bipolar

Go to the Anxiety and Stress Disorders health topic, where you can:

Nancy   Elder, MD Nancy Elder, MD