Thyroid Diseases

Possible Effect Of Hypothroidism On The Heart

12/05/2007

Question:

My son was diagnosed at birth with hypothroidism and was placed on synthroid. He is now 17yrs. old, and has been having chest pain and pounding heart beats. I took him to the emergency room where they did TSH and T4 but came back within normal range. The X-ray and EKG came back normal. They want him to go back and get a holter moniter. Does having hypothroidism all your life affect your heart in any way?

Answer:

I assume that his current thyroid status is within normal range and is not contributing to any of his symptoms. Patients with history of congenital hypothyroidism are at risk of having other extra-thyroidal diseases, such as neurological abnormalities if they were not treated promptly with thyroid hormone, as well as other congenital diseases, depending on the cause of their hypothyroidism. These problems may be unrelated to the thyroid disease itself and are mostly musculoskeletal or heart disease. Unfortunately based on the information provided I cannot comment on the reason for his chest pain or pounding heart beats, which could be related to cardiac or non-cardiac diseases.

Go to the Thyroid Diseases health topic, where you can:

Marzieh  Salehi, MD Marzieh Salehi, MD
Assistant Professor of Endocrinology