Anxiety and Stress Disorders (Children)

Attention Issues and Anxiety

12/14/2007

Question:

My son turned five on November first of 2007. He started Kindergarten in September. His pre-school teacher and his Kindergarten teacher feel that he has attention issues. Yet he is reading at second grade level with comprehension and tests out very high in math. He chews his shirt around the collar constantly and makes holes. In class he puts his head down or starts talking. At home, he is often scared of bees in particular and going up the steps to his room by himself and has a difficult time with transitions. His biological mom, my partner developed bi-polar disorder after the birth and we are at a loss for him because we don't know where he fits in. He doesn't have any behavior issues but he can be spacey? What do you think?

Answer:

Usually attention is limited in preschool and kindergarten children, but the teachers are comparing your child to similarly aged children. If these educational professionals believe your child has an attention problem, I would have your son evaluated, even at this young age. As to the remainder of your concerns, these also can be addressed during the consultation.

Go to the Anxiety and Stress Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Floyd R Sallee, MD