Osteoporosis

Bone Density Test for a 23 Year Old

01/02/2008

Question:

I just had my bone density tested, and there was one t-score of my femoral hip that is -2.7. I am only 23 I was on Depo-Provera for 5 years. Could you please give me any information on what this result means for my age. All the information I could find is just for women over 50. My other results were -1.8 -1.5 and -1.0. Thank you for you time and consideration.

Answer:

Bone density is not usually recommended for people your age even if they are using Depo-Provera (DMPA).  Your bone density may have decreased while you were using DMPA.  Once a woman discontinues DMPA her bone density will return to her previous state as long as she eats healthy food and exercises.  Get adequate calcium through your food intake and vitamin D through a multi-vitamin.  Stay fit, exercise, do not smoke and your bone density should improve if you have no other medical problems.  Check with your physician to be sure you do not have any other reason to have low bone density. 

Go to the Osteoporosis health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology