Breast Cancer

1 dimple at the 12 oclock positon (on areola)

12/10/2007

Question:

I have a dimple in the right breast at the top of the areola at 12 oclock postion x 2wks. I just had a baseline mamo, u/s and mri of the the right breast for the first time just this past August. I have 3 cysts that they said are ok, one is 7mm so thats why they did the mri. They recommend going back in 6 months to make sure there are no changes, however I noticed this dimple 2 weeks ago with a tingling sensation in the areola and was wondering if I should see my doctor sooner. Should I be concerned about the dimple? I have no discharge, bleeding, or scaliness. The nipple is sensative to the touch though. Being that I just had all these tests done,should this be of a concern? I had a friend of mine do an u/s 1 week ago ( off the record) at the hosp I work at and she said there are no changes to the cysts in size in the last 4 months and the areola looks ok. I am 35year old with no family h/o of breast cancer.Just a little worried.. Please help, thanks...

Answer:

You have had every imaging test that one can do. Have you had an exam with an MD experienced in breast disease? If not, and if there is a change in the appearance of your breast, you should see a breast surgeon. That person would be able to either reassure you or recommend biopsy of the abnormal area. If you have already seen a physician, and he/she felt the area of the dimple was ok, then the repeat tests in 6 months seems a safe plan. However, if the breast continues to change, go back sooner.

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Paula  Silverman, MD Paula Silverman, MD