Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Crowns, wisdoms, and pain

11/28/2007

Question:

This is a multipart question really.

I had a root canal and now the tooth is crowned. Porcelain crown which feels kind of flat on the bottom...aren`t the crowns supposed to be like your other teeth? And I think I feel pain in that tooth or the one next to it but not sure. Root canals are expensive and I don`t want to go spending thousands for nothing but they found no cavity on the other tooth...any advice? My root canal was done because extreme sensitivity and this other one is feeling sensitive.

Also, I have small cavities in 3 teeth and my dentist told me I should get my wisdom teeth pulled because they`re impacted but they have never bothered me once. Then one of the cavities was on one of the wisdom teeth...was torture even after 2 shots of novacaine and now there is a gap between the teeth, any advice on what to do with that? Food gets stuck in there and it causes me pain.

Lot of typing but I do try to take the best care of my teeth that I can. Unfortunately I wasn`t so lucky.

And not so sure I trust this place I`m going to but it`s who my insurance sent me to.

Answer:

Unfortunately, I do not have enough information to provide advice for some of your questions. Regarding your "flat" crown, the contours of the biting surface depend on those of the tooth that it chews against. So if the chewing surface of upper or lower tooth that bites against your crown is flat or crooked, your crown would need to be also.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Julie A Holloway, DDS, MS, FACP Julie A Holloway, DDS, MS, FACP
Associate Professor of Restorative and Prosthetic Dentistry