Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Elevated platelet count

11/28/2007

Question:

I went to our local blood bank to donate blood today. They had to stop because the draw slowed to a very slow pace. The person helping me said as she was disconnecting the tubes that the blood clotted in the tube and is from a hight platelet count. About 6 weeks ago was given Methotrexate for an ectopic pregnancy.

The lady told me it could be from the trauma or dehydration... could this be right, should I be concerned? All the reading I am doing about high platelet count seems daunting...

Answer:

It is not clear to me if they checked a complete blood count and your platelet count was elevated, or if they were just speculating. It is hard to say much else without more information, but there are many reasons why your platelet count could be elevated. Most of them would not cause a problem with clotting that you are describing. It is also not possible to diagnose a clotting problem based on the fact that your blood clotted in a tube.

I would tell you to see your regular doctor who can draw a blood count to find out if there is a problem with your blood or platelets.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine