Gum Diseases

Gum graph surgery

12/03/2007

Question:

I had gum recession due to teeth grinding and brushing. I just had my 3rd gum graph. It appears that this one didn`t take like previous surgeries. On the first 2 graphs, tissue was taken from the roof of the mouth. On the last surgery, he slip my gum tissue and pulled it up. Is it normal for me to keep having this done? I can`t understand why the tissue is not connecting. Do I need a second opinion?

Answer:

It may still take. It will look different since these are two different type of procedures. This one is called "coronally positioned flap." We generally use it if the patient has some tissue, but it is localized away from the root surface. It is more conservative since it eliminates a second wound site.

I do not think that you need a second opinion. Discuss with your periodontist the reason for graft procedures, and why she/he decided to do it this way this time around. I am sure that she/he will explain the rationale behind the procedure.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology