Digestive Disorders

Constipation

12/14/2007

Question:

My bowel movement is not regular, I mean I feel it is not getting emptied completely. Because of that I`m getting very little of food what ever I ate, back into my throat (reflux). I got done endoscopy and ct scan and the results are nothing wrong. What could be the reason and how can I get rid of the problem? Is the endoscopy done to investigate symptoms a surgical procedure or diagnosis?

Answer:

There are many reasons people are constipated. Sometimes the foods we eat tend to make us constipated - foods with lots of fiber tend to help relieve constipation (for ex. fruits, vegetables, water). Also many medications can have side effects of constipation. Therefore I would recommend you see your primary care provider - maybe you started a new medication that is making you constipated? Finally other things like hypothyroidism can make people constipated. Endoscopy is done to look for any irregularities in the lining of the colon that could explain constipation.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Julia Gore Thornton, MD Julia Gore Thornton, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine