Some kind of bite?

12/04/2007

Question:

I have what looks like a bite on my leg just above the knee on the side of my leg. I started noticing a small bump about a week ago, and a few days ago the redness around it grew to about a couple of inches around and was slightly swollen. It looks it may be some kind of bite, I was thinking maybe a spider? but my boyfriend works at a hospital and someone told him this may be lime disease! yikes! Could this be from a tic even if I don`t see one? It seems to be changing a bit now, the redness around it has lightened and the middle where the bite is is now getting darker, almost purplish---doesn`t seem to getting any better or any worse at this point. It did hurt at times and even felt like it was burning one night. Also some slight itching. I have no other symptoms and feel fine. I do have a history of excema, and sensitive skin, alergies and also bee sting alergies run in my family. Right now it is cold out though, but people in this area have had tic bites AND lime disease symptoms and people have been at my local hospital recently for this and are on medication! How do I know if this is from a tic? They say a bullseye---mine just seems like a big red circle, slightly raised/swollen about two inches across with the little bite in the middle like a mosquito bite.

Answer:

There is no better way to determine this than seeing a dermatologist. It could be an ordinary arthropod bite, and I agree that the possibility of a tick bite should not be discounted. However, it is best evaluated in the clinic.

Elma D Baron, MD Elma D Baron, MD
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Director, Skin Study Center