Addiction and Substance Abuse

How can i stop smoking crack?

12/10/2007

Question:

HI i want to stop smoking crack but i dont want to go to a rehab. How do i stop smoking crack by myself ?

Answer:

Thank you so much for this excellent question. Several things should go into your thinking at this point.

1) Crack cocaine (smoked cocaine) is a very fast way to expose the brain to very large amounts of the drug - so it is very difficult to stop on one's own.

2) Most people who successfully stop smoking cocaine do so with out-patient counseling.

3) Most people EVENTUALLY get off cocaine - and can help make "eventually" occur sooner if they participate in out-patient counseling or AA meetings or especially if they do both.

4) Inpatient or residential rehab (where you "go away" for weeks to months) have pretty high relapse rates unless they are immediately followed up by outpatient counseling and/or regular AA attendance.

So I would suggest doing whatever you have successfully used in the past in order to get off of cocaine (except substituting other addictive substances) - and add in AA meetings and if possible out-patient counseling.

Hope this helps, write with any additional questions.

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Ted   Parran, MD Ted Parran, MD
Associate Professor of General Medical Sciences