Gum Diseases

Most effective antibiotics for periodontitis

12/03/2007

Question:

I am age 66. I only have a very few molars left and a couple of them are constantly becoming inflamed. When I lived in the US my dentist used a sulfer drug tablets to treat me that was very effective. Unfortunately he has retired and I`m unable to get the name. I am retired in Israel where the dentists all seem to only know about Amoxicyllin and related antibiotics. What other antibiotics are most effective at battling gum infections? Thank you.

Answer:

Antibiotic usage for chronic periodontitis has limited indications. We do not prescribe antibiotics routinely. Chronic periodontitis is caused by bacterial plaque, and mechanical therapy has to be completed to remove plaque and any retentive factor helping bacteria to grow in your mouth. We use antibiotics only for specific cases.

Tetracycline derivatives and Metronidazole together with Amoxicillin can be used. However, the type, combination, and dosing depends on the severity of the disease.  I do not recommend you taking antibiotics without appropriate treatment. It will cause resistance to antibiotics, and these medications will not work when you really need them.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology