Leaking crown

12/07/2007

Question:

several weeks before actual pain, I noticed when using a sucking action on a crown, a leaking of something was occurring. I had a root canal done on the tooth. Now 1 week after, I still have tenderness and cannot put any pressure on the tooth. What is a "leaking" crown and when, if ever, will the tenderness leave and I can use the tooth. I can`t even eat on that side of my mouth.

Answer:

It is normal to have tenderness for at least a week after root canal therapy. Please see the previously answered questions attached below. 

You should see your general dentist concerning your "leaking" crown. Crowns do not fit perfectly tight and so there is always some microleakage around the margins. However, there can be other reasons for leakage, such as a cavity under the crown or broken crown margins. Root canals are not successful unless the crown or top of the tooth is sealed well. After root canal treatment, you should return to your dentist to have a permanent filling placed inside your crown or possibly to have a new crown made.

Sensitivity after root canal
After root canal pain

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics