Erectile Dysfunction (ED)

Inability to maintain an erection

12/14/2007

Question:

At present I can always get an erection and have enjoyable intercourse for about five minutes before I lose it. This has happened occasionally when I used to wear condoms - about ten years ago when I had my first girlfriend it regularly happened although it hasn`t happened for about five years due to not wearing condoms as have had long-term girlfriends - but has never happened before when I don`t wear condoms. I have a new girlfriend who I`ve been seeing for 3 months and we stopped using condoms after one month, and suddenly in the last month, despite starting sex with a really firm erection, after about five minutes I will lose it. This is the first time this has ever happened when I haven`t been using condoms, can you suggest why it is happening? Also, if we have just had satisfactory sex and then have sex again shortly after, the problem never occurs, it only occurs the first time we have sex in the night, or if we have sex in the morning, times which when we start having sex I have a very firm erection. I am going to see a doctor next week, but wondered if you could suggest why this is happening, as I am a healthy 27 year-old who exercises regularly, doesn`t smoke and maintains a balanced diet, and don`t have an overly stressful life?

Answer:

The only thing I can tell you is that you may have anxiety performance, and/or you are not too familiar to the act of love making. You think too much about the sex and sex to you is only intercourse. Why is it that you can have intercourse the second time around but loose your erection after five minutes the first time? It is because all your system works and you have been intimate with your partner longer?

I advise you mix true lovemaking with intercourse. This consists of romance, healthy talk over a glass of wine or dinner with candle light. Foreplay becomes more important and intercourse puts the icing on the cake.

Go to the Erectile Dysfunction (ED) health topic, where you can:

Ahmad  Hamidinia, MD Ahmad Hamidinia, MD
Formerly, Professor of Clinical Surgery