Head and Neck Cancer

Slighly swollen lymph glands one side

12/21/2007

Question:

I have 2 slightly enlarged and slightly tender lymph nodes on the right side of my neck and one on the back of my neck. Inside my throat there is a red crescent on the tonsil area that does not look swollen but is slightly sore. I also have a white area (1.5 circular) not raised in front of the tonsil and I can see a large capillary also infront of the tonsil area. I get pain in my ear and jaw joint and strange feelings in my head almost like my head is swelling, and my right fingers swell slightly. Drs don`t seem worried say it is ME, it has persisted for more than 4 months and I am worried. Also have chronic vaginal thrush, lethargy etc.

Answer:

You seem to have a few issues ongoing. It's unclear in your question what tests, if any, you have had done, or the specialty of the physician(s) you have seen. Neck masses and pain that persists should be looked into. An Ear, Nose, and Throat physician would be an appropriate specialty to obtain an opinion from. It's possible that what you are seeing around your tonsil is something as simple as food debris or even a cyst. Treatment can range from something as simple as routine gargling after meals or sometimes may require a tonsillectomy. The lymph nodes may also be a result of the tonsil situation, or other irritation/inflammation that may be occurring.

Go to the Head and Neck Cancer health topic, where you can:

Cheryl  Koliha-Brandt, MSN, RN, CNS, CORLN Cheryl Koliha-Brandt, MSN, RN, CNS, CORLN
Clinical Nurse Specialist and Instructor of
Head and Neck Surgery and Oncology 
Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing

Pierre  Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS Pierre Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS
Professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery