Exercise and Fitness

Intensity of a workout

12/31/2007

Question:

I am 50 years old and weight 145 Lbs. My workout consist of 60 min. of cardio ( treadmill elepical and stairclimb ) I keep my heart rate at max of 148 - 165. I cannot loose an ounce ! I do this 3-5 days a week. I heard that I should lower my intensity and work at max 120 heart rate. Is this true ? I don`t feel like a had a work out at this rate. Should I be doing this for FAT LOSS, Thank You

Answer:

It is discouraging to be working so hard on your exercise program and still not meeting your weight loss goals.  It is possible that you have gained some muscle mass due to your cardiovascular activity. This is a very good result because the ultimate body composition goal is to obtain more muscle mass than fat mass. 

It may also be helpful to consult a registered dietitian to review your diet to determine if you are eating in a manner that will best help you reach your goals.  Weight loss will only be successful if you commit to lifelong healthy eating and a regular exercise program. Give yourself time to adjust to a new routine and make it a part of your daily life. Good luck to you.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Rachael   Dotson, BS Rachael Dotson, BS
Program Manager
Certified Johnny G Spinning Instructor
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley