Depression

Severe Depression Medication

01/09/2008

Question:

I have tried several different medicines for treating depression and since Serzone was taken off the market I have not found anything that works. I was seeing a psychiatrist, but she yelled at me because the medicines she likes doesn't work and asked me what I want put on...I have not been back since. I wondered if anyone could direct me to a pharaphysciatrist (sorry about the spelling). I am ready to have myself committed to the hospital.

Answer:

Ask your primary care doctor or a doctor you trust to help you find a psychiatrist who will work with you to choose the medication that treats your depression best. There are other medications like serzone that should help, including Effexor, Cymbalta, and all the SSRI's. And with the assistance of your doctor, find a self-help group to guide you in the treatment process.

Go to the Depression health topic, where you can:

Lawson  Wulsin, MD Lawson Wulsin, MD
Professor of Psychiatry and Family Medicine, Training Director of the Family Medicine Psychiatry Residency Program