Root canal failure

12/16/2007

Question:

I had a root canal on #31 that was abscessed-at first the pain was terrible-the Endo said there may be some nerve and pulp in the one canal but my body would take care of it-week 5-I wanted him to redo it-he did but only went into that one canal-he hit an area that made me groan and called it sore spots- he touched it with some liquid cold stuff to test it and then touched the tooth above it-that was terrible-he said that one has a large filling in it-that tooth is still bothering me and it is week 7-I don`t know what to do-Any advise would be wonderful

Answer:

I'm sorry, your question is a little confusing and unclear. If the top tooth remains sensitive and hurts on its own, it may need to have a root canal. The cold test the dentist used showed that the tooth reacted abnormally. The test itself does not cause any damage. As far as tooth #31, I really don't have any advice to give since I am not sure what has been done and/or redone. If your symptoms mainly consist of cold sensitivity, that pain may be referred from that top tooth, and you may be fooled to think it is the treated tooth. Again, I just don't have the information to tell you much more. You may need to have an evaluation by another endodontist and get a second opinion about your symptoms.

John M Nusstein, DDS John M Nusstein, DDS
Associate Professor of Endodontics