Tooth sensitivity after 2nd root canal

12/17/2007

Question:

I have had 2 root canals on the same tooth within a 10 month period. The tooth already had a crown due to it being cracked. It is now 3 months after last root canal and I still have tooth sensitivity when I tap on it. What could be the cause? My dentist thinks we should remove the crown and make a new one. (The root canals were done through the crown.)

Answer:

There are a few possible reasons for continued sensitivity following root canals, such as:

None of these can be diagnosed without a thorough examination. I am not sure whether you had both root canals done by your dentist or if one or both of them was done by an endodontist. If an endodontist performed the root canal treatment, I would seek them out for a return evaluation. If you have not yet seen a specialist, I would recommend an evaluation of your current situation before any further treatment is done.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics