Myasthenia Gravis

Does MG affect the female libido

12/28/2007

Question:

I have been diagnosed with MG during my pregnancy with my second son (18mnths ago), although I experienced mild symptoms with my first (6 years ago). Ten weeks after the birth of my second it was classified dormant however I have since experienced a huge drop in my libido - even after the first pregnancy. Does MG affect the sex drive - I know it has an influence on progesterone and estrogen however need more clarity and if so what is the prognosis. I am not on medication for the MG since the symptoms are dormant.

Answer:

I can find that myasthenia is affected by female hormones, but I found no definite converse relation. I found one case report from 1981 suggesting an autoimmune phenomenon that accounted for both myasthenia and female hormonal failure. Anecdotally, my own patients have not complained of absent or decreased libido.

Libido is more complicated than just chemistry of female and male hormones. It also involves mood and cognition. I am not an expert in libido, but if you are not having ovulatory problems or erratic menstruation (or even absent menstruation), then you are likely not having hormonal imbalance. I would suggest you bring it up with your obstetrics and gynecology doctor.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

Robert W Neel, IV, MD Robert W Neel, IV, MD