Dental and Oral Health (Children)

White blister on tongue

12/17/2007

Question:

My 16 month old son has a white blister on his tongue, what could be going on? He wasn`t able to sleep very well last night a lot of drooling yesterday and while he slept last night. I know he is teething (his back teeth are coming in)but a blister? Also his appatite is not the same either, no fever though.

Answer:

There are many common viral infections that cause sores in children's mouths, and it sounds like your child has one. One of the most common is an oral herpes infection that starts with blisters which become ulcers and can be very painful. This can affect the child's appetite and fluid intake. A fever commonly accompanies the infection and symptoms can last up to 10 or 14 days.

It is very important to make sure your child is getting fluids or he could become dehydrated. This infection is also very contagious so he should be kept from other children. Treatment for viral infections like this involves supportive care with frequent fluids and medications for pain and fever until the symptoms subside. If he cannot take fluids, he should be examined by your pediatrician.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Dennis J McTigue, DDS Dennis J McTigue, DDS
Professor of Pediatric Dentistry