Pain Management

Leg Pain After Cramping

12/27/2007

Question:

I had a night cramp in my leg last Tuesday night and it is now the following Monday and I am still having pain in my leg. Is it normal to still be having pain this long after a leg cramp? I mean it was a pretty painful cramp. I have been putting ice a couple times a day and also putting a moist heat heating pad on it while I am at home along with taking Tylenol. Is this something I should be concerned about or will it eventually go away. Could it be a DVT? Please tell me this is just normal. I was pretty dehydrated at the time of the cramp. Please help. Thanks.

Answer:

The important information to obtain is what caused the cramp and persistent pain. It is very difficult to diagnose any condition based on history alone and it is important to have your leg evaluated by a physician. Besides a DVT there are other causes for pain such as herniated disc in the back or nerve damage or muscle tear. An evaluation by your doctor is indicated.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine