Newborn and Infant Care

First time grandma

12/27/2007

Question:

I am a new first time grandma. I am trying to find out when you stop warming the milk or formula for the baby, He is 6 months old. Also when do you srt the sippy cup? He is just starting on solid foods.. Thanks so much; 31 years is a long time and worlds apart. I need all the help I can get.My daughter is a great Mom and son-in -law is a great Dad.

Answer:

Great questions! You can stop warming the formula now if you want and if your grandson will accept it unwarmed. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that infants remain on iron-fortified formula for the entire first year of life, rather than switching to cow's milk, as had been done in the past. The reason for sticking with iron-fortified formula is to prevent iron deficiency anemia, which used to be prevalent among 9-month-olds. We now know that iron deficiency anemia at any time in early childhood has a permanent, negative effect on learning, so close attention to an iron rich diet is a good idea throughout childhood.

It is also a good time to introduce the sippy cup. This will aid weaning from the bottle as his parents and grandparents progressively increase use of the cup and decrease use of the bottle. It also helps with weaning from breastfeeding if your daughter is still nursing him. Bear in mind, however, that an open cup should be introduced by 12 months of age. Although it is messier at first, normal children can be quite skilled in its use by 18 months. The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry prefers that children not use sippy cups, especially the ones that require sucking, any longer than necessary since their use promotes tooth decay. Also drinking lots of sugary juice or even milk will promote diarrhea and excessive weight gain among toddlers.

Congratulations on your first grandchild! Have wonderful holidays with your expanded family!

Go to the Newborn and Infant Care health topic, where you can:

Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN
Professor of Clinical Nursing