Excess bleeding during RC/tooth settling?

12/21/2007

Question:

Root Canal performed on an abscessed/cracked tooth that during the RC treatment required an excessive amount of time to stop bleeding... Tooth has never "settled down" and I`ve been bounced back/forth between DDS & Endo for way too long. A dull pain (is generally present and has grown over the years) and occassional bleeding around the tooth is noticed. What health concerns may arise from such? How might I go about finding a well experienced endodontist known for his/her expertise with such? As I later discovered the endo I was sent to did not actually perform this procedure, it was a soon to be or recently graduated endodontist student... shortly thereafter, the young individual moved on to another practice....

Answer:

I cannot speak directly to your diagnosis, but cracked teeth can have complications and often involve follow-up. I'm sorry that you have not had a good experience with the dental professionals you have seen so far, but I do agree that you should seek out an endodontist for an evaluation.

There are a few ways to seek out an endodontist. You could ask around to friends and family since most people's dentists have an endodontist that they refer to. You could also look on aae.org. That is the American Association of Endodontists website, and they have a link to look for an endodontist. You could also check with your local dental society or contact the American Dental Association. They help with finding dentists, but they may also be able to help with an endodontist.

I hope this helps.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics