Addiction and Substance Abuse

Huffing freon

12/27/2007

Question:

wellll uh i did freon for a really long time and when i first started doing it i would just take like one huff or two huffs of it and then i would get this crazy wawawawa sound but anyway then i wanted more and then i started doing more and more of it. when i would inhale and exhale it many times it would look like to another person that i would be having a siesure of some sort but really in my head i was tripping balls. i would get these cray trips on like stuff like me being trapped in somewhere either in a like crazy ball or in darkness or maybe it would seem to me that i would be slicing my fingers or something. but then it would fade and i would snap back to reality. but now im getting really bad like heart pains or really bad chest pains i dont know what im getting and im very concerned. but its alot of sharp pains and its in my chest sometimes for a couple of seconds sometimes for hours

Answer:

Thank you for your question. Huffing or sniffing solvents has been relatively common among adolescents and to a lesser extent young adults for a few decades. As a person slips from a pattern of occasionally using, to a pattern of repeated using / increasing dose / increasing frequency like you describe in your experience, it generally means that the person is harmfully involved in the drug use and needs some professional help. I would strongly recommend that you begin to work with a counselor or treatment program, because the substance abuse or addiction pattern sounds very concerning.

Regarding your chest pains, although they are often not a heart-attack in a young person like yourself, they can certainly be serious and you should see a doctor for a thorough evaluation. Please be open with the doctor about your substance use - it is the only way that they can help you (e.g., by you being honest and open).

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Ted   Parran, MD Ted Parran, MD
Associate Professor of General Medical Sciences